Monday, December 29, 2014

Don't throw your food...away, that is!

I'm know we all remember when we were young, our mothers convinced us to eat every morsel on our plate with the tried and true assertion that, "there are starving children in Africa!" I'm sure there were, Mom, but I'm fairly certain they couldn't eat what was on my plate - whether I threw it away or not.


We Are the World

But mom was on to something. Throwing away food, specifically leftovers, is almost criminal.  In a world where so many have so little, it is just wrong.  Okay, if I'm really honest, I don't throw food away because I'm a cheap bitch. We all know it.  The day I'm rich enough to throw away food means I'm too damn rich! (Can you be too rich? Thoughts for another day...)

If you read yesterday's blog, you will have seen that we made a tasty brisket for supper over the holidays. After eating it with root vegetables for a day or so, I added a bag of frozen veggies (remember you always have veggies in your freezer!) and let it simmer into a stew and put it over rice. That was also yummy, but you can only eat that for a day or so. I left it in my fridge for a total of ten days...yes ten - don't judge...and pulled it out again yesterday.We cooked it down even more, reducing the liquid and hopefully killing any bacteria. It smelled and tasted fine. Then we put it into a casserole dish and topped it with rosemary, cumin and fluffy homemade mashed potatoes. We popped it into the oven, and voila! We had a beautiful Sheppard's pie!


No waste! Brisket is now Sheppard's Pie!

Before you throw that food away, think to yourself, does it still have some life in it? Can I make it into something yummy? Is it blue (if so, trash immediately!)?

Have a great day and go forth and be frugal!

Amanda Z
Domesticology


No comments:

Post a Comment