Thursday, December 4, 2014

Beautiful Soup!

"Beautiful soup, so rich and green,
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Beau--ootiful Soo--oop! Beau--ootiful Soo--oop!
Soo--oop of the e--e--evening, Beautiful, beautiful Soup"

- Lewis Carroll


Unless you're one of those fortunate folks that lives in warmer climates, there is a good chance it's cold where you are! Nothing warms the bones quite like soup. Soup is delicious and one of the most frugal meals you can make. Normally, you can make it with whatever you have on hand. There are four basic components to soup...five if you count spicing! The best part about soup is that it is super easy to make, and anyone can become a master by following the guidelines below.

Step one: The base

Is it a chicken, vegetable or beef stock base? Are you adding cream to it? I always have bouillon cubes on hand to make the base. Sure you can buy the organic shite in the box, but it doesn't taste a whole lot different and lightens your wallet without adding value to your meal. Instead of buying bouillon cubes near the boxes and cans of stock, I normally visit the Latin section of my grocery store and buy the Knorr brand en Espanol! In my local Kroger, I can get a box of Knorr bouillon cubes for .77. That's a huge savings over the $1.50/can of broth.  NOTE: The cow means it's beef. The chicken means it's...well, chicken.



Step two: Meat (or skip this if you're vegetarian)

In another blog, I'll teach you about saving money on meat. For now, know that my freezer is always stocked with various meats, and I almost never run out. Since I buy it all on sale and repackage it for convenience, it's easy to pick one from the freezer and throw it in the microwave to defrost. 


Step three: The guts (The BEST part of the soup if you ask me!)

Once you've decided on a base and meat (if applicable), then you need the "guts." This can be any of the following and probably somethings I've forgotten!!!
  • White rice
  • Brown rice
  • Wild rice
  • Gnocchi
  • Egg noodles
  • Pasta
  • Potato
  • Lentils
  • Black Beans
  • Kidney Beans
The list is endless! Be brave and creative!

Step four: Veggies

I simply cannot make a soup without adding vegetables. It makes the soup richer and tasty. Using fresh vegetables is fine, but don't shy away from using frozen. Besides being convenient, they are very inexpensive. By keeping a mixture of vegetables on hand at all times, you're a lot more likely to eat them. I buy these bags from Kroger for a dollar and use them as needed. Sometimes I need the whole bag - other times, I just sprinkle a bit out and put the rest back in the freezer. 



Step five: Spices

My husband would argue this is the most important part of the soup. The wrong spicing (or lack of it) can ruin your supper! Don't be afraid to spice!!!! Use spices you've never used before. Break out of the box and go hot with some red pepper flakes. Good spicing also means you'll use less salt, which is always a good thing. I would also recommend having a good spice blend on hand. I keep the "No Salt" blend found at Big Lots. It's a dollar a container and has amazing flavor. 

Make that Soup!

Now that you know what goes into a good soup, it's time to make some decisions. Look in your cupboards, freezer, refrigerator and cabinets and decide what you're in the mood for and what you have on hand. 

You cannot screw this up. You really can't.

Tips:

  • It tastes better if some veggies are sauteed first - onions, carrots, celery, potatoes. Add spices to the mix while you do so
  • If you're using meat, you may want to brown it a bit at first also. This allows you to deglaze the pan and keep all those yummy flavors in your soup
  • Next, add your broth and allow to simmer.
  • Don't cook your soup on high! You don't want your veggies mush and your meat tough
  • Now it's time for the guts. Depending on what you chose as your "gut" means that you may add it sooner rather than later (ex. Wild rice takes longer to cook than gnocchi) 
  • Make sure you taste your broth for spiciness. If it tastes bland, add more!
  • Allow your soup to simmer until everything is done and the flavor is perfect!


Happy soup making!

Amanda Z
Domesticology 


3 comments:

  1. I think the mistress of the blog has greatly over estimated my skills. My normal soup recipe has two steps. Step one: Open Can Step 2: Add water. :) Seriously that does look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am craving soup! Homemade chicken noodle with spinach and a cream base is in my future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, that sounds delicious! If you'd like to share the recipe, I'd love to make it! :)+

      Delete