Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What happens if you DON'T go to the store for milk, bread and eggs???

I'm no stranger to severe weather. I grew up in Hurricane Alley after all, and I saw more destruction and breezy days than anyone should see. Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel came to our city a lot which meant we were screwed. If Jim visits, just put a big red X on your ass, because you're gonna get clobbered. On a side note, am I the only one who thinks he's kinda hot? He reminds me of Elliott on Law & Order SVU, but I digress.

Jim in all his glory. Hot or not?

The reason I mention this is because I'm well aware of the rush to buy milk, eggs and bread. I also have heard the million jokes about folks hurrying to buy these three items in the event of a natural disaster. I admit I always thought it was pretty funny, since your power is sure to go out during a hurricane, so why buy milk and eggs?  But like any good prepper, I would make sure my fridge was full and hope for the best. I don't want to be that epic failure who has no milk, eggs and bread when my roof blows off!

Fast forward, and I moved from a coastal town to Raleigh, NC. In Raleigh, we didn't get a lot of hurricanes, but we did get measurable snow from time to time. Snow days were a lovely time to stay home, make chili and catch up on Law & Order. Again, I did the rush to the store thing and bought the obligatory ingredients for french toast. See my recipe here.

Now I'm in Kentucky, and we're seeing a pretty tough winter. I have a ton of snow outside, and it isn't going anywhere. But at least I went to the store on Sunday and bought important stuff like beer and chili fixins'. This time, however, I resisted the urge to buy a ton of milk, eggs and bread! No ma'am, I'm not doing it this time. Oh lord, bad move.

Guess who is low on milk? Guess who forgot to take into account that her little man is transitioning from formula to cow's milk? Yeah, that would be me. Guess who has NO bread and two eggs. Again, that would be moi.

I'm a storm prepper failure.

Even as I'm typing this, I'm getting a little breathless and anxiety-ridden. How could I have made such a mistake?

Now my husband has to make a stop at the Food Giant (I'm not even kidding) and get milk, eggs and bread.  That's assuming he can get his car out of the driveway. I hear him shoveling even as we speak. If he can't, he will walk two miles to get supplies for us. I'm hoping that the smart folks who were better prepared for this storm than us didn't clean out the store's supply. If so, I have a sneaky suspicion the empty shelves and bare coolers will whisper mockingly to him..."Next time, you will buy eggs, milk and bread. You must, as it is your duty."




Hopefully, those of you out there snowed in at your house did better than I did. I bet you're eating French toast as we speak.

Coldly,
Amanda Z
Domesticology


No comments:

Post a Comment